Thursday 22 May 2008

What are you hiding?

There's a woman at the gym who is often having a shower at the same time as I am recovering from my swim.

She always arranges a towel so it completely covers the opening above the door.

It looks as though she is hiding...

Well, I reckon that using the swimming pool (like most of us she throws the costume over the door after discarding it) at the gym means it's unlikely that she's paranoid about anyone seeing her size (often a reason for avoiding the communal changing room, I'm told)...

And my view is a fairly common one: in the female changing rooms we've all got the same bits - some may be younger or older, saggier or more pert (I can remember what that looked like!), bigger or smaller...

But it's all the same kit!

Or is it?

The hiding has got me thinking...

I don't remotely think about other people's activities, if they're not making massive efforts to hide something (and I include lying in that).

[Unless it's exciting news from one of my friends, of course!]

What can she be hiding?

My best guess is before-op gender reassignment!

I don't have any kind of imagination ordinarily, but when I'm looking for the motive behind secretiveness or deception I can usually come up with half a dozen scenarios!

Now, does the lady behind the towel screen feel she's preserved her privacy?

Or does she realise she's opened herself up to much more scrutiny than she would have if she'd just got on with showering?

Hoodies:

We used to wear our hoods up as children after a particularly bad "mum" haircut - are these boys hiding bad hair?

A "mum" haircut is where your mum cuts your hair (obviously!).

A bad one is where either the child wriggled (this is always the mum's excuse), or the mum couldn't cut straight (remembering being a child, I know this is the correct reason!)...

So to even up the fringe (mums always do fringes!), you have to cut it shorter.

A particularly bad "trim" will involve several 'evening up' passes across the child's forehead.

Hence a desire to wear the hood up!

This child clearly is missing a hood...!



The child on the left can clearly keep still; the right hand one has only escaped the full "mum" haircut experience by a remarkable ability to argue!

Burkas:

I reckon it's safer if I don't go there, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment