Wednesday 3 July 2013

Health (generally)

I've realised I've not had a great few months..

The problem with my wrist [pain, can't take any weight through it, can't dorsi-flex it fully] which is probably from the ganglion, which may have been caused by trying to prevent my face hitting the very sharp/hard insulation when one of those stupid-energy-saving-bulbs went out (as they so often do) before properly lighting up, and may be caused by that fall and there could be a touch of RSI?  And the twisting yank I gave it when we hired the shredder...  And the time I used my hand on the tank of the Gixxer to stop me slamming into David when he did an emergency stop...

And, and, and...

I'm sure you get the picture: wrist hurts and is non-flexible/non-weight-bearing.

Anyway, the problem with my wrist has (I think) exacerbated the problems with both of my shoulders trying to stay in plank (and downward dog, etc) and not putting any weight through my right wrist made my (already weak from an old injury) left shoulder hurt and then trying to protect that shoulder strained the other one [old frozen shoulder left that with slightly limited mobility and, and, and]...

And because I've been trying to get my fitness levels better, I've been "working through it", which I (now) suspect was the wrong thing to do.

What finally caused me to stop, though, was the ear infection.

I was a victim of the "you can't see your doctor for three weeks" thing that seems so popular now with GP surgeries, so after trying (and failing) for three days to get an emergency appointment I went to the hospital.

Yes, I felt very stupid being there.  Yes, I felt like a time waster.  Yes, I didn't want to be clogging up the nurse/doctor's time.  But, the doctor confirmed I had a middle ear infection and gave me antibiotics.

I was apologising to the nurse for being there when I shouldn't have been, and she said it was very common to see people who couldn't get a GP appointment, and they only had two other people in the waiting room, so not to worry about it!

Didn't stop me feeling like a bad person, but did ease up on the guilt somewhat.

I couldn't swim and had dizziness, so cut out the yoga/body balance/pilates as well.

Then I realised just quite how bad my shoulders had got!  The constant discomfort had really disrupted my sleep, which I think contributed to my getting the worst chest infection I've had in ages [which turned into a stinking cold that lasted over six weeks, and has further disrupted my sleep].  The previous time we were in France I couldn't do any more than lie on the sofa; and even that was beyond me for a couple of days.

The enforced rest started to help my shoulders feel better, and I've been seeing an acupuncturist, which has also helped.  I'm just doing light weights, and a lot of walking, so I am getting some exercise, just not as much as I want/like.

The antibiotics cleared up the ear infection, and the deafness has improved to the level that I can hear about half the volume in that ear, but the tinnitus is constant; I could do without that, but hope it will go, given time.

And, apart from the cold that started yesterday, I'm feeling much better!

I'm hopeful that the surgery will enable me to use my wrist properly, which will then ease my shoulders?

Only time will tell, but I'm going to be so careful with getting back into my classes, and my lovely assistant is going to be doing the bulk of the heavy work until Mr K. is happy with my wrist.

Sorry, David!

No comments:

Post a Comment