Tuesday 24 July 2012

Cake update

Cake...
The cake was absolutely fine [still is, it's lasting longer than expected!] - it's really moist, but is properly cooked, and neither David nor I think it tastes particularly sugar-free or gluten-free.

It's actually nicer than the last cake we had at a tea-room, so that's a real plus; I worry that not having sugar/being wheat/gluten-free will make it not as good as "proper" cake, but when it tastes better, that's a huge boost to the self-confidence...

The banana comes through nicely in the flavour, and the level of sweetness; not a sweet cake like some, but perfectly OK.  I think it's made it a bit heavier, doubling the quantity of banana, but it's still not as dense as banana bread can be.

Adding the extra dried fruit makes a difference too, and it being moist elevates it above a lot of fruit cakes (even those sold commercially), so I'm happy with the results.

I still worry that the use of gluten-free flour is making it more solid than a traditional cake, but then a fruit cake can often be quite heavy.

All round, I'll accept the recipe for now, and as each slice only contains about a quarter of a banana and roughly a quarter of a handful of sultanas/cranberries, it means I get a "hit" of sweet stuff without eating anything sweetened; result!

No comments:

Post a Comment